Friday, July 29, 2011

Fix it Friday

I've been obsessed busy with finding cheap things and spicing them up some with spray paint or fabric.

Hopefully soon Mr. B will realize that I am not just buying/collecting junk, but kind of know what I am doing.

I thought I'd share some of my most recent projects around the house.

I realized I'm really bad at taking "before" pictures though, so in the future that is something I'm going to try and be better at.

It makes the process that much more rewarding, ya know?

I realize some people {like Mr. B and Mama Grace} would much rather buy new items than buy supplies and take time fixing something, but for those frugal and crafty people...this is fun.

For reals.

I found two matching lamps at Goodwill for 2.99 each. {Hello, good deal. You don't realize how expensive lamps are until you're on the lookout!}.  They were gold and u.g.l.y.  First I painted them an off-whitish color and I really liked them until I put it in our room and it looked very blah. I went with a dark espresso color instead and it looks much better. Next is to cover the lampshade. Oh and maybe straighten it out, too. We will see. 


Bought this frame for $4 at Savers and planned on making it into a chalkboard for the kitchen for little notes or bible verses. It was hard trying to find the right color in a spray paint to match our tealish kitchen. I tried to make it look a little distressed and kind of failed. It still adds a nice touch to the kitchen though and is a fun project to make. Now it needs one of those long skinny signs that say "Bless our Home" or something above it. A trip to Hobby Lobby is in my future. 

This was a brown scentsy warmer from Mama K, I really wanted it in the living room but it didn't really match. I went on the search for some orange spray paint, but could only find bright construction cone orange....um no thanks. So when I was at Michael's I found some Terra Cotta flower spray that was the perfect color I was looking for. I wasn't sure how it was going to work since it is made for flowers, but it did! I love how it turned out and use it every day. 

I received this cute little gown as a hand-me-down before we found out we were pregnant. It was a little on the boyish side, but I liked the color and new we would be using gowns in the beginning. I used my seam ripper and  took off the little turtle and duck tag and made some flowers out of scrap fabric and sewed them on. 

And here are some misc. projects with no before pictures....
1. Was a green lamp I spray painted the dark espresso and re-covered the off-white lamp shade with some brown zebra fabric.

2. I had some old pillows that I recovered to add some pop of color to our living room.

3. The two small vases were $1.99 and $2.99 from Savers- they were just the colors I was looking for! The bigger vase I picked up at a yard sale for 50 cents. It was green glass, but I knew I could spray paint it and put it somewhere in the house. When I decided to add orange as an accent to our living room and found the two little vases I knew just what I would do with the bigger vase. It came out really good, and no one would ever know it was bright green. 

4. I have been spicing up some plain onesies that I have. I am still a newbie, but getting better and have lots of onesies to practice on! 


Have you done any fun DIY projects recently??
I love looking in pinterest and other blogs to find some new idea! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW I love how creative you are. I however am not, in fact there isn't a creative bone in my body. Hopefully our little man will take after his dad and be able to do ANYTHING.

Natalie said...

ok i love it all! i wish i could recover a lamp shade. making new throw pillow coverings is in my near future as well as adding cute stuff to onesies. i never thought of taking something old OFF of one first though.
you should try doing burp cloths, too! that has been my obsession lately. there are so many fun things you can do with them with fabric or ribbon. i just buy a pack of the prefolded gerber cloth diapers at target or walmart and add stuff to them-so fun and cheap AND no other baby will have the same ones :)
i love what a little spray paint or fabric can do :) great job lady!