Friday, August 31, 2012

Crumb Catcher

Apparently we need a bigger crumb catcher.
A really big one.

I always have the diaper bag filled with toys and snacks when I know we will be going out to a restaurant.

It's always a little nerve-wracking to be out in public with a baby- at time it's like a ticking time bomb- and I try my best to have things on hand to keep her busy and quiet to avoid making a scene.

Sometimes I am amazed at how much she really ate.

Most times I am amazed at how much I thought she ate and how much ended up on the floor.


When Adalyn started solids and we went out for the first time she felt the need share the wealth and leave some of her goodies behind.

As we were leaving I saw Mr. B picking her crumbs up off the floor and I questioned what he was doing.

He thought it was rude to leave the mess.

I thought they have a broom and vacuum and they could clean it up.

The more I thought about it and the more we ate out, I decided it is  nice and respectful to clean up her mess as best as I can.

So typically we just clean up the bigger chunks of food.

And now she like to just waste our money throw food onto the floor so those pieces are easy to clean up anyways.

I was curious to see what you all did because I had never really thought about it. 
Do you clean up the floor in a restaurant after your child?

And if everyone says "yes" I may or may not feel like a bad person.
Just sayin...

9 comments:

Taylor-Made Wife said...

We don't clean up after our 16 month old. I kinda thought the same way you did that first time. But now that you mention it, I feel a little guilty.Curious as to what other people do.

Cadie said...

I used to clean up after our daughter, but sometimes, depending on the restaurant, that can look even more tacky than leaving a mess on the floor. So, now we just tip big!

Rachel and John said...

We always clean up as best we can. I just grab a wet wipe and go to town. The servers are always SO happy. I never thought to do it but John used to work in restaurants and said that the servers HATE to do it.

I don't think it looks tacky, I think it's respectful.

Holly said...

I agree...I do sometimes try to clean up as best I can...but still sometimes grown ass men leave a mess bigger than my four kids! LOL! And for once I love to NOT have to clean up and do the dishes if we manage to get all kiddos out to eat. I have had people come up to me and say how well behaved the triplets are and how they could never get their children to act so well, so I take that as I must be doing something right!

Unknown said...

ha- I like Cadie's comment! You don't want to be on your hands and knees on the floor!

Hilary said...

Honestly, as someone without kids, but plenty of nieces and nephews, and someone who spent 7 years waiting tables, the truth is that there are usually bus boys, and that's part of their job, but when a restaurant is slammed, it's hard to clean up a huge mess. Most servers don't mind cleaning up after you IF, and here's the key, you acknowledge that you made a mess and don't just leave expecting them to pick it up. If your server sees you actively trying to clean it up, they're probably going to offer to clean it up for you. If you mention to them when they bring your check that if they'll bring a broom you'll be happy to clean up the mess, they'll appreciate the gesture, but they're not going to make you clean it up. Acknowledging the mess means all the difference in the world.

Simply Events said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yes! I have been a server, and it is so difficult it clean up after a table with a young child in the midst of working. You can not wait until the end of the night you have to clean it up before they can seat it again.

I also always tip a little more if the kids make a big mess that is impossible for me to completely clean

Refrigerator Memories said...

As a former busser and server, I can tell you we appreciate you making the effort to clean up! I've had the hostess start bringing people to the table after it was cleared but then had to stand there waiting until the crumbs were swept up. I was nervous with them standing there staring and the others were upset they had to wait.
I'm a huge stickler for cleaning up the table before we leave. Meaning... cleaning up crumbs, stacking dishes, and putting the trash (napkins and such) together. I know we don't need to do that but I also know bussers or servers appreciate it.