Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Never Say It

So I'm not superstitious by any means. 

I say "knock on wood", but don't truly believe it.

I don't believe in jinxing something.

BUT

It's a rule, as a mom,  to never draw attention to:
 your child's good eating habits,
or playing independently and quietly
or sleeping through the night
or how long their nap is
or, most importantly, how they haven't been sick in a long time. 
 {toddler time long= at least 3 weeks}

AND
I did it.
I broke the rule. 
I personally think talking about their good sleeping habits and their lack of sickness are a close tie, but sickness takes the win for me. 

This weekend I was telling someone that it seemed as though Adalyn was sick all late-summer and fall and ironically hasn't been sick much this winter. 

I then proceeded to tell this Ben later that day. 
It's amazing she hasn't been sick much this winter- she's been in the nursery, playgroups, the mall playplace, the gym daycare and she's been going strong etc etc 

To which he replies: Aren't you like not supposed to say stuff like that?

Yeah I know, but I already said it today and I wanted to share the realization that we've had a good stretch. Blah, blah, blah

And of course, the following night went down as one of Adalyn's worst nights yet. 
She only really slept from 2am-5am. 
Therefore I only slept from 2am-5am.
She was crying on and off the rest of the time. 
When I went to soothe her, I heard it in her cry...
and then I felt it on her face...
the snot faucet.

It was back.

I jinxed it. 

But I didn't, 
because I honestly don't believe in that. 

But I'm just saying.

The next day continued with a bad nap. 

I was so tired from the night before that we both ended up napping on her chair because it was the only way she would sleep so it was the only way I could catch some extra zzzzs.

I was worried that last night was going to be the same way, but thankfully she slept through and made up for the night before and woke up happy at 10:45am.

She was pretty mellow all day 
and then I had to wake her up from a 3.5 hour nap because we had to go to family dinner. 

And sadly, she's gone downhill since with a runnier nose, sad little cough and a pitiful clingy whine. 

But thankfully a little tubby time will always lift her spirits.

So the moral of the story?

Never say it. 

It's not worth the risk.

Keep it to yourself. 

God is in control. 

My words are not. 

I know this. 

But it's best to just not draw attention to such things. 

It's just the way it works. 

PS. We survived Nemo


2 comments:

Beth Ann said...

So funny...and true! ;)

Rs To Gold said...

I've a venture that I'm simply now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such info.
Gold For RS
Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Digital Collector's Edition