Thursday, April 14, 2011

Extreme Couponer

I am not.


I feel like I have the heart,

and I find the joy in couponing.

I do get excited and think of it like a game.

I have a special coupon binder.

I almost never miss out on steals from Walgreens and CVS.

But as far as being a true grocery couponer, I guess I am missing the drive.

I've been watching TLC's show "Extreme Couponing",


I think it's inspiring 

and pathetic, all at the same time.

I think extreme might even be an understatement for some of these people.

I admire a stockpile.

I admire all the money saved- ridiculous amounts of money saved.

I am pretty jealous.

I do wish I could save that much money.

I feel like the stores around here don't have those crazy sales or double or triple coupons.

Maybe they do, I just need to investigate more.

Here's the other thing though, do these people even buy normal groceries? 

I feel like I try and use my coupons on things that are on sale and that we use.

Key words: that we use. 

Not all grocery staples are on sale all the time.

After watching the show a couple days ago, I was making lunch and I needed some Miracle Whip.

I didn't have any in the fridge, and I was all proud of myself as I went to look in the pantry at my little 

stockpile.  

Knowing that one day it was on a sale and I had a coupon and I snatched the good deal.

I take it, feeling a little cocky {yes, I am was home alone, but you can still have those feelings by yourself}.

I'm all ready to open it and then I catch a glimpse of the expiration date.

December 2010.

Fail. 

How do these people buy 77 items of something and have it last forever?! 

So this awesome deal that I once purchased quickly became a waste of money!

Moral of the story- stick to stocking up on paper goods and toiletries. 

I'm pretty good at that.


Are you a couponer???

What grocery store do you get your good deals?? 

11 comments:

Natalie said...

i have all the same questions about couponing. I feel like the stuff we actually use is never on sale/no coupons. and i feel like our grocery stores are not good at it either. we don't have kroger or safeway and those seem to be the ones all the couponers get their best deals at. i wish i could be a better couponer, too...you are not alone.

Meghan said...

I've heard that Publix is a goldmine when it comes to couponing. They accept other stores coupons, manufacturer's coupons and double coupons on top of their sales. My problem is I seriously can't keep it all straight! Ha! I always try to do Bi-Lo and CVS. I don't have a Publix nearby or I would go there!

Jessica Hilton said...

You are definitely not alone! I too wish I was a good couponer. I used to stock up on coupons every Sunday, and I would cut everything I thought we "might" use. You know just in case. At our grocery store they have a coupon station, and every week they have these things called "combo locos" where if you buy one thing you get like 5 things for free, they usually all complete a meal so that's pretty convenient.

Rebekah said...

I use coupons for mainly household items. I rarely buy food items that the coupons are for. I can't justify having all of those things! I hate too much stuff!

The Daughtridges said...

I'm fairly proud of my little stockpile! I feel like I do pretty good... until I watch that show! We have two grocery stores (Lowe's Foods and Harris Teeter) around here that double coupons all the time, and one of those will occasionally triple or super double. And I always shop Rite Aid, CVS, and Walgreens.

LWLH said...

I try to do the coupon thing but I can't be like the people on there....I will never be able to justify buying 67 bottles of mustard...I'll never need that much.

Hilary said...

I coupon & shop at Bilo (they double all coupons $.60 & under). Kroger is a good one because you can go online and add coupons to your Kroger card, then use the coupons in store (which they double to like $.75 I think?), so you're getting a LOT of savings. And I've heard Publix is good with deals, too. Do you have any of those in NH?

Melissa Jo said...

I'm starting to get addicted to that show! Although, I have to think some of them like the double saving divas they showed last night are just greedy and wasteful at times. One of the girls has 100s of diapers, but no kids, not even expecting.. um excuse me? Just seems a little overboard to me! I'd love to get some of the deals they get like 10 cents per can or getting paid to take something out of the store but have to start somewhere. I started printing some coupons off today online and have to go get an 'organizer' I won't get to the crazy house filled 'minimarket' extreme, but having an extra can or 2 of whatever wouldn't hurt, would it?!

Kendall said...

Oh my gosh! I watched this show too and thought the exact same things. It inspired me though and I attempted to give couponing a shot. I didn't try to hard, but I loaded some digital coupons on my shoppers card and thought I would at least save like $5... I got my receipt after I finished paying and I only saved $0.25.... How does that even happen??? I think I'll be trying to put a little more effort in next time.

Amanda said...

I cut out cuopons... and forget about them. So that can tell you right there how worried I am about it. lol. BUT... I do look for the better price. I do compare store brand vs name brand, or even name brands against each other. I'm sure that saves somewhat a bit of money, huh?! :)

Jordan said...

You're kinda like me. I try at couponing, but I really have better luck just shopping the sales. I'm awfully jealous of the savings of the extreme couponers, but it's probably not worth the time they waste doing it.