Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Smelly Student

No, I'm not posting about that smelly student in class that everyone talks about- the one who smells like the clothes have been sitting in the washer too long, the one that smells like B.O or the one that smells like they got sprayed by a skunk. 

::True story- our dog got sprayed and came in the house and my brother and I went to school smelling like skunk. So embarrassing::

Mr. B is a student again.

Although, it is possible that he could also be that smelly student. 

I've gotten a whiff of those pits on a rough day and my oh my...it's nasty. 

Anyways, yesterday marked a new chapter in our little Smelly Life- Mr. B started Grad school. 

It's a 2.5 yr program, he will be taking 2 classes a semester mostly one night a week, but it could happen to be 2 nights or Saturdays depending on the class. 

We are so thankful for this opportunity and for the wonderful company that he works for.

Mr. B is really excited about it and looking forward the classes and learning again

Which btw is so weird to me! I am so opposite. I went to college for 2 years and got nothing but debt and friends- I was a good student but I just felt I was wasting my money when I knew I wanted to be a nanny/SAHM. But ummmm... I still have nightmares that I am taking a test and can't finish in time and don't know the answers!

That's a legit nightmare, right?

There is nothing I love more {okay, there's actually lots of things I love more}, than waking up and knowing I'm not in school nor do I plan to be in school ever again. 

So anyways, I am a little nervous that it will be difficult for him to find the proper balance of work, school and family. I do know this will be a lot of work for him, there will be a lot on his plate and I am so proud of him for taking that on in order to provide better for our family. 

I also know it's going to be hard for me- I really don't want to be a nagging wife and complaining that he is always doing work/school. I don't want him to miss out on these special moments with Adalyn because clearly she is already growing so fast! So I am going to try really hard to be nothing but encouraging and supporting.

So maybe there will be some trial and error in the beginning. We will probably have to try and work out some sort of schedule so that he doesn't get overwhelmed with everything. 

But we are ready to take it on and we know that in the end the reward will be worth it! 

Any advice for those of you who have been through this would be great-what worked, what didn't, did it go by fast, was it not as bad as you thought, was it? 

9 comments:

Cuz I'm the mama! said...

What a great opportunity. My hubs has been in school/training since we met. We didn't have kids at first, but then we had twins when we was mid-training. It was difficult - and as you said... hard not to get a little upset at times with how much time they have to spend on studying, etc. BUT -- what worked for us ... was when he had a period of time when he really needed to study on a consistent basis was he would come home from work (because I was WAITING for him to help me)...he'd spend time with us until the girls went to bed and then he'd study AFTER that. Yes - it does mean later nights for him .... but it means you know you will have a break, some company ... and just someone to share the load with at the end of the day. It was a sacrifice for him (he was tired), but it made for a much happier mama and babies. You will get through it -- just take it one class at a time. :-)

Anonymous said...

His school time will go so fast. My husband and I got married when he was a student and I supported us finacially. I thought it would never end but 3 decades later he is talking about how many more years until retirement! It will go fast and just remember it will be so worth it in the end. Your husband sounds wonderful and seems like he will be able to balance it all. I think the earlier post has great advice! Good luck!

Natalie said...

Tony is 'still' in school. He graduated a few years ago but his company is paying for him to go back and get a different degree. Which is a HUGE blessing that he will get the degree, will be able to get a huge raise when he's done, will have more opportunities for promotions, AND they are paying for it. But they will only reimburse him for a certain amount each calendar year, so he can only take 2 classes per calendar year. And since he's attending a smaller school, they only offer certain classes at certain times. SO it's a huge pain because he hasn't been able to take a class for a year now because they aren't offering anything he needs. But that is also a blessing because he was able to be off last semester when Callyn was born, and again this semester. That being said, it is definitely a hard balance, I can't lie...even without a baby. My advice to YOU would be just to check in with him to see what you can do to make his life easier. I know I often would want to spend time with Tony because he was working and then going to class two nights a week and ministry stuff on other nights, but sometimes the best thing I could do for him was leave him be so he could do homework, etc. What a wonderful thing for you guys though and AWESOME he'll have all his classes on ONE night...THAT is awesome!
Oh, and I am totally with you on the college thing! I did get my degree and worked for two years before staying home. Literally every penny I made went to paying off student loans. SO basically I went to school for 4 years, racked up thousands of dollars of debt, worked for 2 years to pay off that debt and now stay home haha! Oh well!

Holly said...

I was in my first year of graduate school, full-time, when I got married and graduated one week prior to becoming pregnant with our triplets, so even though I didn't have kids yet, I was still married going through the whole "student" thing. It was hard, but I kept reminding myself, which you can do for your husband on those hard days, is that you will never regret getting an education and bettering yourself and your family! It's much better to do it now than wait until Adalyn is older and starts saying, "Mommy, where's Daddy?" 2.5 years goes by sooo fast. Hang in there and it will be over before you all know it!! :)

Allison said...

My husband graduates on May 4th after 2.5 years getting his MBA, I was pregnant with Lydia when he started and when he graduates she will have just turned 2!! It went fast, it was hard at times but I would find that if I could fill those nights he was gone with a dinner date usually with my family or maybe a girlfriend, it helped. Also being patient and encouraging, it will be great though!!

Lindsay said...

That's such an awesome opportunity! I know it will be really hard at times but like everyone else said 2.5 years will go by SO fast and y'all will SO glad he did it when he did. Maybe y'all could do something like designate one whole day to being just "family time". You can do whatever you want with it, but no matter what else is going on y'all will always know you have that. I don't think if you think that would help. I know for me it would make a huge difference wether I was the one in school or not. Mentally and emotionally, to always know I have that. Just a thought. :)

Mama Whitfield said...

My husband just finished his first year of grad school. I think the toughest part is getting used to the study time. When my husband isn't working or at school, he is studying. Luckily your baby girl is still too young to realize that Daddy is studying and cant play with her. Its hard keeping my 3 year old son away from my husband while he is studying but I always try to remember that even though I feel like it is really hard on Avery & I, it has to be way harder on my hubby. Stay supportive and lessen his stress in anyway you can. Oh and congrats to your hubby for taking on some much for his sweet family!

carissa said...

congrats! that is an awesome opportunity. one day, we hope my man can go back to seminary for his masters. i'm happy for your man!!!

Sarah C. said...

My hubby started his master's degree (in mechanical engineering) last August, a couple months after we found out we were pregnant. He is working full time as an engineer, and so far (last semester and this semester) he has had classes two nights a week. I'm hoping we never have to do more than two nights! He takes 2 classes a semester. Our baby boy is due any day now, and fortunately his classes this semester are a little easier than last semester. Still though, it's going to be tough with him being gone from 8am - 9pm two days a week. I already dislike it and our baby isn't even born yet. We are just trusting that this is what God has planned for us at the moment and He will help us through it! It is such a good opportunity for my hubby (his company is helping pay for it) and will give him many more career options. It will be so exciting when he's done (Spring 2014!).
So, I don't really have any advice because our baby isn't even here yet, but just know that you're not alone! :)