Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Calorie Counting

At the beginning of the year I joined the bandwagon and started to do "myfitnesspal".
It's been really great for both me and my family.
I've lost 10.5 lbs just by watching my calories.
I was pretty naive and eating a ton of calories.
I am still shocked at the amount of calories some of my favorite meals are.

I haven't gotten to the whole exercising thing, yet. 
It will come.
And should be soon.
But currently, I am just too lazy.
I am determined to start though.
Some day.

The fact that I am losing with just counting my calories, 
I often wonder how much more I would be losing if I was working out too..

And that's about as far as it gets...
a wonder.

But here's the thing with calorie counting- they give you the option to have self control, to make the wrong choice or the right choice.

They allow you to choose just how good you want to be.

If the serving size is 12 chips, do the two folded ones count as one regular one?

Do the broken ones not really count?

As I was getting some fries ready for dinner {I'm still in the counting calories phase- eating strictly nutritious food comes after the daily exercises phase} I checked the serving size. 

15 fries for 150 calories or whatever it was.

But here's the kicker...
There are all different sized fries.

15 of what size?

It's the test.

How disciplined do you really want to be?

Is the serving size 15 baby fries or do two of those count as one?

I think I could have 30 of the little ones...but that might be pushing it.

So you better believe that this calorie counting momma emptied out the bag and picked out the longest fries.



It's a matter of making the most of your calories. 



But if you want a more drastic change on the scale I would suggest going with the smaller option.

Just sayin'. 

4 comments:

~Momma to Twin Girls~ said...

Oh my gosh I have NEVER thought of this. And it would be the same for potato chips too - there are bags with small ones chips and HUGE chips. :) It has me wondering what other foods this could apply to.

You are doing a GREAT job! Keep up the work.

Mrs.Fisher said...

This cracked me up! I count calories with sparkpeople and broken chips and things like that bug me too. I guess there probably isn't room on the packaging to do all the different sizes you may come across in a bag of chips :)

Natalie said...

hahhahahahhaha!
i would have done the exact.same.thing.

Melissa Jo said...

I'm doing my fitness pal too and I love it! Sometimes serving sizes are super confusing and it's so frustrating to know what is what!