Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Moment

On Sunday when I went to pick up Adalyn from the nursery I had a moment.
The kind that you can so vividly picture in your mind.
The kind you don't want to forget.
The kind that changes your view on things.

Because Adalyn is Little Miss Restless, she is now an official member of Noah's Ark Nursery at church.
I am still trying to focus on the sermon instead of wondering how or what she is doing in there, but Adalyn is totally enjoying herself and loves watching all the other babies.

Because of the surplus of babies in the nursery they've asked for some volunteers just to be "Baby Holders".
This made me happy because currently the nursery is for 6 months-2 years- developmentally they are so different and I thought this would be a great way to make sure both age groups are being provided for. 
When I picked her up the first time she was happily playing  in the exersaucer and when I got her the second time she was content with a "baby holder".
So after the sermon on Sunday I rush head over to the nursery to get my sweet girl.
I look around the room and see a bunch of little ones playing, I see the empty exersaucers, some babies being rocked and then...
I see Adalyn.
And I pretty much do a quadruple check.
My little baby who was supposed to be being rocked or playing in baby toy, was standing up by the toy box.
 Just hanging out and looking at the toys.
No big deal.
Ummm what?!?!
Is that seriously my baby?!?
There was no one around her.
The volunteers were busy cleaning up and saying goodbye to the other kids.
{Which is totally fine, I don't expect them to be able to watch her every minute!}
But how did she get there??

There she was.
My big girl.

I so wish I got a picture of her.
I know it is an image in my mind that I will always remember.

Holding onto the side of the toy box with her chubby little hands, with her sweet little pink plaid OshK'Gosh dress, thick legs supporting her up in her pink leggings, her cute flower headband and her name tag on her back.
Standing alone in her own proud little world.
My "mama worry" was too high for me to capture it with my phone {and I am still so bummed that I didn't get it}. I was too worried she was going to fall back and hit her head since she is still new to standing while holding onto a toy by herself.

So I go over and say hi and she was so excited to see me and I still couldn't help but wonder how she got there??
Did someone put her up there? 
We recently started doing that, but why would they just leave her after doing that?
Did she pull herself up? 
She's never done that before, can she really do that already??

There was a BBQ after church and I asked a family friend who was working in the nursery if someone had put her there and she said she didn't know, but she knows that she didn't.

So it remained a mystery.

Until.....
 the next day we were at my parents' house and I could see her trying to pull herself up with the ottoman.
I could see that if she had a grip she would be able to.
So I moved her to a little ottoman with a tray-something for her to hold onto.
And she did it.
Mystery solved.

Our not-so-little baby is reaching new milestones every day.

I get a little sad that I missed her first time doing it, and that she did it on her own with no one watching and she was probably so proud of herself and I so wish I could've been there.
But it's bound to happen that I will miss milestones throughout her life.
And every time she does it now she is still so proud.
And so am I.

This was a moment where I realized I can't be in denial anymore that she is still a baby.
My baby is growing.
And she's growing fast.
She's reached lots of big milestones this month, personally I think it's too many for one month, but that's just my opinion.....

It was a very bittersweet moment.
I've been saying over and over that it goes so fast, but it was in this moment that it really hit me.
She is going to be 7 months tomorrow!!
How is that possible?!
I am thankful for moments like this to truly remind me how fleeting each stage is.
A wonderful reminder to not take any of it for granted. 


7 comments:

Rachel and John said...

Go baby A! Don't you both love and hate all the new things? Standing is a huge one!

Ashley said...

I can't believe how fast time is going and how big she is getting!! Slow down little one!

Natalie said...

It is SO hard to believe. Before too long she is going to be mastering pulling up! Callyn started like that, too, where she needed a lip or something to grip. Now she can pretty much pull up with like one finger. Its crazy how fast these girls are growing up!

Mrs. Mama said...

so proud of sweet baby A!! crazy how fast they grow!

Mallorie said...

aww! EC is working on that too and it is CRAZY To me as well! Now we can't sit and play on the floor without her pulling herself up onto me! I am loving all of these new "tricks"! It's so fun!

Modern Camelot said...

Love these new milestones! They go by so quickly :)

Unknown said...

oh my Jordan! I nearly cried reading this. so well articulated!! great post and YAY little Adalyn!! Isn't it funny that we want them to stay babies forever!? But the whole purpose is prepare them to LEAVE us?! That seems so weird. I want Genevieve and Nadia to be with me forever. lol. anyway, great post and great, adorable, little girl!