Wednesday, January 26, 2011

How Did I Not Know...

So I am not sure if I learn something new every day, but this weekend I did. 



I was at my parents' house and the girls wanted a baked potato for dinner.
In my mind I was thinking there wasn't enough time to bake one so I wasn't sure how it was going to happen, but it did. 
When I went downstairs to get a drink I noticed that the microwave was beeping signaling that something had finished cooking. 
I went on with my business and went back upstairs to finish watching Mean Girls 2 because I am actually 12 years old
The wheels were turning in my head when I discovered that the girls really did have a baked potato for dinner.

I am sad to admit that hours later, while replaying my day as I was trying to fall asleep, it clicked.
A vision of the microwave popped into my head.
Was it possible??
This button that says "Baked Potato" that I see a 19487 times a day bakes a potato???

Ya'll, I have been baking potatoes in the oven for over an hour. 
Hello, 21st century bake your potato in the microwave for 4 minuteswhere have you been all my life?
Oh yeah, my bad....
it's been in my face all this time. 


So this has been my new favorite discovery.
Turns out everyone knows about it.
Everyone does it. 
Apparently they forgot to inform me. 
Maybe because it seems to be a pretty straight forward concept. 
Just a guess.


For the record, I do use the "popcorn" button.
That's the only one though.
Now that my eyes have been opened to what these magical buttons can do,
we will see what other adventures I may find myself on.
"Dinner plate", "Frozen Pizza", "Frozen Vegetable"...
I see lots of excitement in the near future.

As you can imagine, we had baked potatoes on Monday night, we are having them tonight and we will also be having them tomorrow night.
I bought a 10 lb bag. 
This is quite the deal in the Smelly household.


I apologize for such a lame post for those of you who have previously been enlightened to this wonderful button. I know I haven't blogged in like a week and this may come across as a sad comeback. I have found myself in a blog rut again, and well this is the best I could come up with for the moment. So I think the rut is pretty self-explanatory after reading this, right? 

Stay tuned for tomorrow's post on "Favorite Choice"....
Kidding. I think

11 comments:

J and A said...

Love it! Wish I would have told you sooner! :)

Amanda said...

heeeeyyyyy my microwave doesn't have a dinner plate button!!!! or i would totally use that one! lol! actually i'm really glad you posted this...i forgot that button was on there. thanks! i will be checking out my microwave buttons tonight after work! haha! :)

Jessica said...

Hilarious! While I did know about the baked potato button, I enjoyed hearing about how you didn't!

Thanks for the laugh :)

Mama Gorka said...

Ok you aren't the only one! I had NO clue about a baked potato button. Thanks for the new info!! :-)

Ashley said...

Well... I thought you had to use a special bag... which I have lost, so I have not been baking potatoes in the microwave either! But good to know! Thanks

JaggedLittleJenn said...

Haha.. I didn't realize it until AFTER googling other ways to bake potatoes.. since the hour method takes FOREVER!

Meant to be a mom said...

I actually really like this post. I love baked potatoes and use the baked potato button all the time on our microwave :)
I'm glad you figured out the fast and good way to make yours.
Also coming from a 20 somethings (ok fine 27) year old I also love watching mean girls :)

Natalie said...

this is so funny! i can honestly say I am not sure that I knew about that button. is it possible my microwave doesn't heave it?! I think it might not! And I have never used it so you are totally not alone. But best invention ever!

Coloradoaunt said...

I use it all the time and then wrap potaotes in foil, put on grill for last 5 minutes when cooking boneless chicken breasts (my go to meal) - delicious. Easy dinner for working night dinner!

Emily said...

You seriously crack me up with this post! I love that you didn't know about this and that now it's an obsession! :) Thanks for the smile for the day!!

joyfullgrace said...

I totally cracked up reading this post...I obviously have failed you as your mother as we have had potatoes this way for years! Please remind me to teach this basic skill to Ali so I will not repeat this mistake again! LOL