Thursday, December 16, 2010

Calling out Mckmama

I know Mckmama gets criticized for every.little.thing. she does. 
It's ridiculous.
I can't believe how so many people are so rude to her, have hate blogs about her and scrutinize her blog, her parenting skills and her as an individual. 
I am amazed every day.
I am usually in disbelief that people do that, but this weekend...
I was mad at her.

She makes her cake balls look so simple and pretty.
How is possible??
This picture is from her blog, I have no idea if I am allowed to show it or not, but I am giving her complete credit...it's from this post.

This was my 4th time making them.
You think I would improve over time.
Nope.

I was determined to have them look good this time.
I was trying all these new tricks.
Melting my chocolate a special way.
Letting the balls sit in the fridge over night.
I even bought the lollipop sticks {in the past I left them as balls}

But I am beginning to think that maybe Mckmama only showed us her two best ones out of the batch??

Because to be honest it goes a little something like this....
 Sprinkles everywhere.

Chocolate everywhere.


Every kind of utensil/technique you can think of to get the chocolate on in a non-sloppy way.
Whisk.
Toothpick.
Lollipop stick.
Spoons.
Greased spoons.
Baby spoons.
Greased fingers.
Greased hands.
Wax paper.
Mugs.
Bowls.
Pots.
 Oh and the lollipop sticks?
Failed.
The ball fell right down to the bottom.
Wonderful.

Dipping.
Dripping.
Coating.
Rolling.
Soaking.
Scooping.
Crumbling.
Disaster.
Yelling.
Throwing.

 It's a good thing these balls are so delicious because every single time they are a pain in my butt.
And after I consume about 5 while making them, 5 during the party, 3 with dinner, 3 after dinner and 2 for breakfast the next day,  they quickly become not only a pain in my butt but a part of my butt. 

::Cake balls welcome to the junk in my trunk::
{no picture for this one- don't worry}


In the end they are always a big hit and no one really cares what they look like.

You try your best to present them in such a way that no one will really notice that they look like some messed-up-sketchy-what-is-and-where-did-it-come-from blob thing.
Not sure "ball" would be the correct description in this case.
And of course they would wonder who it came from because, let's be honest, that plays a big part in whether or not we will eat something at a party!


 So anyways,  I am just putting it out there that Mckmama might have special powers to make her cake balls come out so perfectly.

 Or maybe it's just me....

And of course to finish the post...
Christmas pup at the church party. 

10 comments:

Cuz I'm the mama! said...

I am SO glad you wrote this because I was thinking of making these and I would have been so mad if they didn't turn out perfectly. I've made OREO balls before and it's kind of the same idea. They don't look perfect at all. I saw them made on the TODAY show and I was so excicted. But .. now I will not feel so horrible when they turn out less than perfect! Thanks! And..I think your's looked great!

Ashley said...

OK...I NEED the recipe for cake balls... I have left comment after comment on poeples blogs and no one has responded... could you PLEASE email me the recipe?!

Rachel and John said...

I find that if you completely coat the entire ball in sprinkles, no one can tell how oddly shaped and messy they are!
Mine never look that great either.

Natalie said...

that's so funny!!! sorry they didn't turn out like you wanted.i don't think i could even attempt taht!

Jillian said...

I need to try these!! Maybe I will have luck, yeah right!!

Hilary said...

You are not alone! I'm the same way! I've tried time and time again to make my oreo truffles look nice. There's no possible way unless you're super human. I've even thought about buying a fondue set just for that purpose, but then I figure that it's probably ME that's the problem and not the chocolate...

Annie said...

true stroy, i once attemped cake balls...epic failure!! haha!! i was so not happy about it and have not attempted them since.
yours didn't turn out too shabby girly! :)

Kristin said...

Cake balls seem far too unattainable for me :-) Roxy looks darling all decked for Christmas! How did your housebreaking go w/ her? I'm in need of some encouragement in that area...we have a puppy who doesn't seem to be making any connections. Grrr....

LWLH said...

I'm trying red velvet cake balls, wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

MckMama's cake balls came out perfectly because they were from a bakery.