Thursday, December 9, 2010

Don't Fly Away Home

I live across from a pond. 

At said pond there are a butt-load of geese.

The water is very contaminated and filled with bacteria and the surrounding grounds are covered in Roxie's favorite treats  geese poop.

As the days have been getting colder I have been wondering why the geese are still here. 

Shouldn't they have left like 2 months ago?

Don't they know that NY and other states along I-95 have already been hit with snow??

Don't they know that the pond has a thin layer of ice every morning??

I mentioned this to Mama Grace and she informed me that she thinks they stay for the winter, that not all geese migrate.

Say wha??????

According to my childhood and one of my favorite movies, I clearly remember Amy raising the geese, forming a mother-like relationship with the geese and with tears in her {and my!} eyes saying goodbye and helping them fly south. Man, talk about emotional right?
Never mind the first scene of the movie where her mom dies in the car crash!
I may or may not have 10,000 Miles by Mary Chapin Carpenter on my iTunes just because of this movie. 
{{Although now that I am older and realize that Jeff Daniels is also from Dumb and Dumber it kind of kills this whole Dad role but whatev. Sometimes when actors play a certain character they are always that character like Will Ferrel is always Buddy the Elf and Juliette Lewis is always Carla Tate from The Other Sister..I don't think Jeff would be the same dad for me if I watched this again}}

I mean maybe someone should have warned her that not all the geese migrate. 
Maybe the ones she raised didn't and she made them believe they needed to.
Maybe she could have kept them.
Maybe she didn't need to build this huge mother goose contraption after all.


So obviously this movie implies that all geese fly south.

Or that's what I got from it anyways.

Wrong.

At 23 years old, I continue to learn new things. 

Although it is very possible that I did learn this at some point in school,
but to be honest I remember next to nothing from any of my classes both k-12 and college.
I knew it for the test and it ended there.

So as much as I believe that the geese should be migrating.
And as much as I believe that if I was a goose I would most definitely be migrating.

These ones do not.
Instead they would rather poop in my driveway and walkway.

Mr. B and I have been wondering how in the world goose poop is getting over here by our place. 
Every time we see them they are by or in the water.

Not today. 
Today I caught them red handed.

Or maybe I should say we caught them red handed.
Or caught them brownish greenish butt, if you will.

There they were making their way onto our walkway.
 Pooping away.
What do these things eat anyways that makes them poop so much??

 I tried to get a picture of these ones pulling a Jesus stunt- they were walking on water.
Okay, not really. They were in a single file line walking on ice.
 Without ice skates.
 Or boots.
Or a coat.
Ice.
Geese- GO TO FLORIDA!! 

So although I don't appreciate their "gifts" that they leave on the walkway, they do keep these two busy. 
And for that I am thankful. 

5 comments:

onlyhuman13 said...

I didn't know that either! I noticed that some geese stay here in Kansas, but...we're farther south than NY or something.

I looove Fly Away Home. (I have 10,000 Miles on my iPod for the same reason. :) )

Natalie said...

JULIETTE LEWIS IS ALWAYS CARLA TATE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!! I'm SO glad you said that because I totally feel the same way. I can't take her seriously in any other role because she IS Carla Tate.

Erin said...

Your comment about the other sister made me laugh out loud!! I agree with Natalie, she always will be Carla Tate!! I'm just glad I'm not the only one who thinks so haha!

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures of the baby and Roxie!!!

joyfullgrace said...

You are too funny!! This was just the laugh I needed this morning!! And Yes- Julliette will always be Carla- Will F will always be Buddy the elf !!