Monday, April 19, 2010

No! No! I Mean...Yes!

Two Years ago...

We took a trip to visit my grandparents in Naples.

Mr. B and I had been talking about getting engaged.

I couldn't stand surprises.

While Mr. B ran into a store I peeked at his phone to see if the ball was truly rolling.

The ball was rolling.

I found the number to the ring store in his recent calls.

My finger accidentally touched the screen and called the number.

My heart sank down way below the ground, I was shaking and keeping an eye out for his return to the car.

I called myself approximately 10 times to get the ring number as low on the recent calls list as possible.

Jim and Pam from The Office got engaged.

I joked around that it was foreshadowing.

Mr. B quickly assured me, in all seriousness, that he is really sorry, but the ring wasn't finished yet and it wasn't going to be happening this weekend.

I believed him.

I believed him so much that as he was showering I was searching through all his bags.

I found nothing.

I believed him.

From then on I was so oblivious to all other clues.

My grandparents decided last minute not to join us for dinner.

I saw my grandpa hug Mr. B before we left.

I didn't blow dry or style my hair.

I wore the ugliest outfit.

I will never get over that.

I wish Mr. B told me to look better.

I still hold a grudge.

The sunset was perfect.

Perfect for a proposal.

I was convinced he was not proposing.

I decided it was okay that the ring wasn't ready and that I would rather get engaged back home in NH surrounded by family and relayed this information to Mr. B.
He said, "So now would be a bad time?"

I did the nervous laugh and acted like I didn't hear what he said-"wha??"

He repeated himself.

Ummmmm.

Pushed his chair back.

And got down on one knee.

I was in disbelief shouting "No! No!"

He was saying "Will you marry me?"
People in the restaurant probably felt sorry for the poor kid who was being rejected after proposing in front of everyone.

Embarrassing.

I then shouted, "I mean, yes! Yes!"

Mr. B was nervous.

Saying "no" sent him into nervous overdrive.

He handed me the box with the ring inside instead of putting it on my finger.

I laughed.

I told him he needs to put it on my finger.

The people in the restaurant clapped and took our picture.
I couldn't eat my dinner because I felt sick to my stomach.

Mr. B took offense.

The sickness was out of pure excitement.

Seriously.

I hated my hair and outfit, but was thankful that my nails were beautiful.

That's more important anyway.

My hand was the focus of the night and the weeks to follow.
It was an ugly odd number date.

I tried to look past it.

I was going to marry my best friend and that trumps an odd number.
In the end I was surprised.

He pulled it off.

Today...

Happily married for almost 9 months.

Mr. B graduates in 12 days.

We pick up our first puppy in 14 days.

We move in and begin our official grown-up life in 16 days.

So blessed and thankful to look and see how far we have come.

We really do complete each other.

Two years ago, on April 19 2008, I made the best decision and said no, no, yes to spending the rest of my life with my best friend.

26 comments:

Erin said...

Loved reading the story:) You guys are so cute!

Alissa said...

What a sweet story and a beautiful ring! I loved how it was a surprise after all.

LWLH said...

What a sweet story! :)
I was the same way at my proposal, I had no idea and I was wearing this ugly white tee and cut off jeans while at the beach when he proposed.

So many exciting things happening, good luck!!

B said...

Stinkin' hilarious! what a memorable engagement :)

Chelsea said...

such a cute story!

Trish {Pink Preppy Lilly Lover} said...

What a great story, so much fun to learn a little more about you. Beautiful ring there missy! :) YAY for puppy countdown too!

Ria @ Life as a Wife! said...

Oh, this is BEAUTIFUL! I loveee that husbands and wifes complete each other perfectly :) It is my favorite thing! Blessings on this big exciting things coming up!!

JennyLee said...

That is the sweetest story!

Jessica said...

love this story! I wish we'd been smart enough to take some pictures when we got engaged :) my hubby caught me completely off guard and I was totally surprised!

Jess :) said...

What a super cute story!! I love it and am so glad you two found each other! What a BLESSING. Looking forward to hearing more about all of the exciting things going on in your lives :)

Anonymous said...

What a cute story! Thanks for sharing. :)

Natalie said...

how funny : ) We had a similar engagement-conversation where he had to convince me it wasn't happening and i totally fell for it, only to get engaged 10 minutes later! At least you got picture---there was no one around to take ours : (

Rachel and John said...

Aw he got you good!

I think you look lovely in the photos so don't regret not getting all dolled up!

Jamie said...

Aww y'all are too cute! Your ring is beautiful :)

Meant to be a mom said...

What a cute story. I love how you tell stories, You crack me up. By the way your ring is GORGEOUS!

Brittany Ann said...

What an incredibly sweet story! Thanks for sharing!

Justin and Jessica said...

Such a sweet story!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such wonderful comments. I love that your name is Jordan and your mom is Ronda with no "h" - it's hard to find that! :)

I look forward to reading more about you!

Amber said...

Super cute post. I can only imagine how he felt when you started shouting no. I can't believe you looked through all of his stuff - lol - I probably would have done the same thing. I hate waiting! :) Great story to share with the kids one day!

Jordan said...

So cute! :-)

Kristin said...

Gave me a good chuckle tonight! I needed one w/ all we've gone through with our puppy today - feels like I've lived a week since 5am this morning. Whew! My hubby chose to propose while I was sick and crampy, loafing around, no make up, and had on sweats. SWEATS! Oh my gravy...how bad can it get? Needless to say, there were no pictures. For a reason :-) Happy engagement anniversary! Hope your Monday was better than mine. Did you celebrate?

Brittany said...

Aww what a cute little story! Your ring is so pretty :-)

And I don't think 9 isn't a bad number, it's my lucky number! haha

Mrs. D said...

You have some gorgeous photos chronicling your engagement. Your ring AND your engagement story is beautiful! :)

Anonymous said...

And you made him so happy!

Love you!
Mama K

Virginia Belle said...

This is such a sweet story and that ring is gorgeous! Congratulations on all of the exciting things happening right now :) I'm a new follower!

Heather said...

Love this story and so glad I got to read it, I love reading things like this!! Y'all are so cute!! Happy 9 months!!! Your ring is beautiful!

Blogs said...

So very sweet! Naples! Come meet me next time ur here:) We can go to the beach and dinner!!!!