Thursday, April 8, 2010

Happy Meal

Meet the newest members of the Grace Family....
Seriously, could they not come up with a better
container to take the chicks home??
Must it look like a happy meal from McD's?
3 piece chicken, please! With a dot of poop..
Ew.


Aside from all their poop, they are so soft and cute.


Squeaky toys that move.

Apparently when you are getting your picture taken with a chick you need to scrunch up your shoulders and stick your neck out.
I realize this is a bad picture, but please note the chick in my hand and the chick in Mr.B's hand. Do you see his chick's head?
No? Well that's because you can't.
This chick was a bit on the limp side, if you will.

After returning home from Bible Study, we noticed there was one that:
a) had no eyes
b) was laying flat getting trampled on by the others

Mama Grace was too grossed out to pick up a dying chick, so of course, who else is more perfect to volunteer than me. Because if you know me, you know that I am NOT a huge animal lover and I would totally be able to handle a limp chick no problem.

My inner "Fly Away Home" {use to be one of my favorite movies when I was younger. A story of the girl who finds geese eggs and raises them- anyone else know that movie??} took over and I was certain she just needed a little love and comfort. I was determined to bring her back to life.

This whole idea worked out much better in my head where I actually held her for more
than .01 seconds.

I didn't expect her to be quite so limp and flimsy. She was a little too dead-like for me.
I fr.eak.ed.
GET IT OFF!!!! TAKE IT AWAY!!!
This fuzzy cute little chick quickly became a flat pancake {maybe more like a waffle, she wasn't that flat} of nasty.
So gross.

My hero, Mr. B, took her away from me. He held her cupped in his hands and for some reason she didn't look as dead as she did when I was holding her with my hands as flat and straight as I could get them. Weird.

He claims he still felt the heartbeat.
We held them for a few more minutes
and put them back in their coop.
The new one I was holding quickly ran away to play with the others.
The one Mr. B was holding quickly did nothing, but lay there lifeless, all stretched out and twisted.
She was dead.
At least, we kinda tried.

The next scene went something like this....
Mr. B who was holding the dead chick: {opens twizzler and begins eating it}

Everyone else who held a chick: {washing hands}

Me: {to Mr. B} Did you already wash your hands?

Mr. B: {deer in headlight look. quickly spits out twizzler} I was wondering why everyone was washing their hands! I totally forgot! That's so nasty. {tries to wash out mouth}

Everyone else: {grossed out and laughing hysterically}

I think you had to be there to know how funny it was, but for now just laugh and pretend you think it is too. Ok, thanks.

Anyways, has anyone ever owned any chickens??
We hear they actually like to cuddle and be pet?? The only thing is they aren't even close to being as cute as adults as they are as chicks, so we will see how that goes. They aren't mine so I will leave the cuddle-with-big-ugly-chickens department up to my family. They also eat ticks and spiders in the yard, which is a huge plus because there's lot this time of year.

Has anyone ever had their eggs? We hear they are much better. I hate eggs, but everyone else in the fam loves them.

Does anyone think the Grace Family is crazy?? ;)

13 comments:

B said...

I died laughing when I read this, don't worry :) That's hysterical. I can picture Anthony doing the same exact thing.

One of Anthony's cousins got her daughter all different colored ones. Bright pink, green, orange, blue, purple. Crazy!

Jessica said...

We have chickens and have always had fresh eggs. They're great! It's funny though because once you raid their nests a few times they move them to trick you up!

Timing is important though, because if you don't get them soon after they lay them it can be too late to eat them...

And, I've never met a cuddly chicken...most of ours were just really mean!

Good luck to your family!

Anonymous said...

So funny!! I laughed out loud and could so picture B eating and then realizing what he did! Bird flu anyone? Thanks J! Was fun to read about Easter happenings!

Love ya-

Mama K

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness! This was my endorphin releasing belly laugh for the day :-D (still chuckling)! I'd love to have chickens...I think. Actually I think I love the thought of having chickens. You know, so Martha Stewart-esque: "Why yes, I just came in from my chicken coop and brought some fresh eggs to make for breakfast - aren't they gorgeous!?". I DO think they taste differently - much better. Maybe one day...when I get brave...we'll give them a try! Hope you're having a good one!

Jami Balmet said...

Oh gosh I can't believe he ate the twizzler! That is sooo gross!!! Funny story! {But sad about the dead chicky}

Meant to be a mom said...

I've never owned chickens before but oh my gosh are they cute!

Hah, I love that you have chickens. That's just funny.
But the flimsy one makes me sad just to think about it. :(

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious! Poor hubby!
I love the picture of the dog looking in at them. I think my pups would have snatched them up!

Jillian said...

Why do you have baby chicks?? They are so flipping cute but poor dead one:(

carissa said...

i certainly thought this was a new version of a happy meal. hahaha! you are too funny!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Oh my goodnes...ack!!!

Brittany said...

I laughed at this lol..

The chicks are just adorable but I'm not sure I could raise them. They aren't so cute when they grow up lol.

And you get points for TRYING to save the limp one :-)

CJA said...

love the pics of the dog with the chicks priceless! :)

Mama B said...

Haha, this whole post kind of made me LOL. :) Well, except for the dead chicky part...poor lil guy. I could totally picture your story of everyone washing their hands and Mr. B not doing it. Too cute! (and gross, lol) Those little chicks are just adorable!