Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pack Rat

First, I would like to start off this beautiful Wednesday morning with a shout out to my wonderful husband, Mr. B. Today is our 8 month anniversary! I can't believe how fast the time has gone by, I am so thankful to be married to my best friend, we are so close to officially starting our "grown up" life and it's so exciting- love you, babe.

Second, shout out to all of my wonderful followers! I have been blogging for almost two months and to have 101 people "addicted to the smell" is so encouraging and amazing! To think that just last month I was dreaming about having 25 followers, and yes I do realize that is a little pathetic and embarrassing to be dreaming about. I just had that much going on in my life that apparently this was top priority in my mind. So thank you all!! One day when we aren't in the poor newlywed phase maybe I can have a giveaway to show my appreciation. Until then you get just a get a big THANK YOU!

Speaking of officially starting our grown up life, Mr. B and I have 39 days left in FL (or approximately 39 days, it's not like we are counting and know the exact amount of days or anything). This chapter in our life has been wonderful, but once he graduates, gets a real job and we are settled in NH where we will have a lease longer than 9 months, be plugged into our home church and close to family, everything will feel a little more real and "official". These next few weeks are going to go by so fast and I am wasting no time. Seeing as I have nothing to do, but clean, work out, tan and watch TV all day, I thought I might be able to squeeze in some time to start packing. Another sign that we are one step closer-hallelujah! I spelled that right on my first try...umm impressive much?? So yesterday I conquered the closet, I decided I would get rid of a bunch of my clothes, pack up the ones that are out of season and leave out enough to last until we move. I looked at is as a 5 week vacation so I left out certain outfits and packed up the rest.

Admitting is the first step to overcoming and I will admit it...I am a pack rat. I hate to get rid of stuff: junk, letters, cards, clothes, pictures, shoes, undies with holes...anything. I am convinced that someday I will use it or in the case of my undies I have used them too much and can't bear to separate. So going through my closet goes something like....

I know this is way too small , but once I am all shredded it will fit and look great.....

I know this is too big and super unflattering, but it is perfect for when I'm bloated....

I know I have 3 other good pairs of jeans and these jeans are ripped, but they are my favorite pair and they make my butt look good....

I know I've had this for about 2 years and the tag is still on it, but I know one day I will wear it....

I haven't worn this in 5 years, but one day I might want to.....


It never fails.

As I mentioned above, I was leaving my closet as if I was going on vacation for 5 weeks...
Just like any other vacation, I may have over packed a little. There also might have been a load of clothes in the dryer as well to add to the "vacation" attire. Even though I typically only wear about 4 of those shirts you never know what could happen in our last month here, it's good to be prepared and maybe I will want to wear something different. Maybe.


That's my side of closet and I also get the bottom cubbies. This is Mr. B's side.
Equality at its finest.

"A bunch of clothes" to give away

It was a little (please note how little the little is) easier to make a pile of clothes that
I might be able to make money from that will go towards my haircut fund.
Incentives are helpful in overcoming this obstacle.

The clothes I could not part with and are packed away in an oh-so-classy trash bag.

I also have a bunch of winter clothes packed in space bags in the storage closet. Do I need all of these clothes?? Absolutely not. I just can't get myself to give them away because of the "what ifs". It's a problem. Never mind the fact that I am dying to go shopping and buy more.
I'm not really a shopaholic, but I do have my moments when given the opportunity. I am hoping for an opportunity in the near future, but it's not looking too hopeful.

Bottom line: I am a pack rat.

Are you??

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Girl, I have half of a closet upstairs that is full of clothes because I can't fit into them anymore!! I have gained almost 20 pounds since getting married 3 years ago and I am vowing to lose it so I just keep the clothes around. Grant it it is mostly jeans and my nice dress clothes for work, but I'm sure I'll want all new clothes if I actually get my butt in gear and lose it! But it's hard to give it all away. :)

B said...

I can't stand cleaning out my closet. I get stressed out just thinking about it. And I have WAY TOO MANY of the "I haven't worn it in 5 years, but what if I want to wear it to this..." outfits. Ugh. Totally feel your pain.

Burtons Blessings said...

I could have written this post! I am such a pack rat (so is my husband) and I'm only now starting to realize it. My family of 3 is busting at the seams of our 2000sq ft house! Really? That is ridiculous! I just need to get my booty in gear and quit procrastinating. Good for you on getting it started!

Brittany said...

This is one thing I'm not :-) I'm the queen of getting rid of things. I hate clutter and I'm super organized lol. I have to force my mom to clean out and tell her, if you haven't used it in two years, chances are you probably won't lol.

JaggedLittleJenn said...

I am also very bad at this. I still have clothes from high school! I had my son when I was 16.. and I am still trying to get my body back 6 years later. Even though those particular pieces probably aren't even in style still.. I am determined to wear them again... someday. Hopefully soon thanks to the SHRED!!

Jessica said...

I have pack rat tendencies but I guarantee if you watch ONE episode of Hoarders on A&E you will change your perspective on what you keep :)

Also, if it's too big, get rid of it! No sense in keeping something you don't really want to fit into right?

Meant to be a mom said...

Happy 8 months to you both.

I'm sort of a pack rat, but I give a ton of my clothes to goodwill every year. I just buy too much so it fills right back up and then the next year I do it all over again.

Sarah Ann said...

I definitely am... I remember once, my mom threw out some of my books, and I panicked! I still miss them (me=nerd)

Eliza said...

Yes, I am a pack rat. Trying hard not to be though. Hubby and I were just working on cleaning out the basement this morning and have a big old garage sale this spring!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

Bonnie said...

I just found your blog & I'll have to read up on ya! I was wondering if Jillian's 30-day Shred was any good. I need to lose some baby weight!

carissa said...

happy 8 monthaversary! so excited for you to get to NH and feel settled! that will be a blessing. i'm half pack rat, half not. i get in moods where i throw everything out (regardless of its sentimental value) and then other days i can't bare to get rid of a sock (if i lost the other half!). i'm not sure how i can be both... but evidently it's based upon my mood. all of your sorted clothes in various bags are too cute!

Brittany Ann said...

I used to be a pack rat, but then the husband joined the military. And I hate moving. I had to learn to throw it away or give it away or leave it behind if I didn't want to move it.

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

Congrats on your 100 followers! That's amazing for 2 months, and I have to say you lured me in :)