Friday, March 26, 2010

Show Us Your Life- Cleaning Tips

Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner
It's Friday!! Today over at Kelly's Korner is Show Us Your Life- Cleaning Tips.

I really don't have many tips, but I am interested to learn some new ones.
Now that I am home all day our apartment is always clean, it's been so nice. Usually Saturdays are our cleaning days, but not anymore. I get everything done during the week so now we can enjoy the whole weekend.

As far as tips:

1. Clean to loud music. Very important in the motivation/adrenaline department. I love me some K-Love or Country on iTunes Radio. It all depends on the weather, time of day and my mood, but either way it's a must. Talking on the phone while cleaning is a good distraction too.

2. We always make our bed. Okay, not always we haven't made it 6 times. Yes, we have moved onto the second hand, I'm in total disbelief and disgust as well. With a pretty small size room, having a bed that is made makes all the difference.

3. We never leave dishes in the sink. I personally have no problem leaving a few in there and saving it for the next day, not Mr. B. He is a bit OCD and hates going to bed with dirty dishes. So between the two of us they get done. Usually when I am cooking dinner, I wash the dishes right after so the cleaning process doesn't take too long when we are finished eating. We don't use too many dishes between the two of us so the dishwasher is run every 3-4 days or so. I could use some tips on this one, our silverware usually doesn't look clean when it comes out. I guess we have really hard water here and it leaves stains all over. I have tried vinegar and it helped a little, but it is still pretty nasty. We were also told to use better (more expensive) detergent, but we don't care that much.

4. Love Clorox Wipes. Target brand is cheaper and works just as well.

5. Tide to go. New product from Mama K that I just started using recently- works great!

6. Dish Detergent. Great for getting grease stains out of clothes. Clearly, I am a big fan of products that remove stains, somehow food always ends up on my clothes.

7. Spray bottle from the dollar spot at Target filled with half water-half bleach. Use it for everything. Makes our apartment feel clean, look clean and smell clean. I use it about 3 times a day. Love it.

I can not wait to get the Shark Steam Mop. I have heard great things about it. Once we have enough floors and money, I am so buying it. I convinced Mama Grace to buy one, they have the perfect floors for it. I can't wait to try it out next week!


PS. Sometimes it's hard to have a themed post because then I don't know when to blog about the various important things that occur during my day like how the baby girl on 16 & Pregnant this week was named Jordynn. So jealous, that's exactly how I wish my name was spelled {wish my mom would've communicated with me in utero to find out what I'd prefer. ugh.}. I will admit I have practiced my signature and spelled it like that...you know just to test it out and dream a little.

PPS. Yesterday when I was doing 30 Day Shred {about to complete Day 9 thinking about going to Level 3!} I was watching Bonnie Hunt and Jillian Michaels was on. It was a little bit of a Jillian overload, but I pushed through regardless. Jillian actually looked really pretty, she was wearing make-up and a skirt! Can you believe it?? Just in case you can't, I took a really bad picture for you to kind of get an idea...
That's by far the best I have ever seen her look.

Bonnie on the other hand, I have seen her look like this a lot. Apparently this is her favorite outfit, I wrote about this a month ago when she wore it for a like a week straight and now I have a picture for all you visualizers out there. To bring it back just one month later is just a little too soon...especially when you can wear whatever you want and you probably have a stylist...in my opinion.

Back to cleaning: Do you have any helpful cleaning tips? Any tricks for the dishwasher? Do you have the Steam Mop? Do you make your bed everyday?

Happy Friday!! Enjoy your weekend! It's going to be a beautiful one here in FL!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only thing that got rid of the spots was to buy the more expensive Cascade. We used the cheaper kind for a long time, but our glasses and silverware were having to be rinsed and dried before I could stand to put them away--what's the point of having a dishwasher then?? Just shell out the extra 3 or 4 dollars and they'll go away!

Andy said...

Thanks for stopping by! Can't wait to catch up on your blog.

Jessica said...

Hmm...the tip I was going to leave was stain removal with Dawn, but you know that one already...

You can grind a lemon in the garbage disposal to get rid of nasty smells.

Sarah Ann said...

Tide to Go is the most amazing thing since sliced bread ...Can I get any cheesier!?
But really...
:)

Beth McC. said...

Clean to Loud Music, thats my philosphy too! Great Post!

Happy Friday!

Modern Camelot said...

I have the shark steam mop. Our floors are IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean, and that is the only thing that keeps them semi-presentable! Definitely recommend.

JaggedLittleJenn said...

Ahh I bawled my eyes out at that episode of 16 & Pregnant!

LMAO at watching Jillian Michaels during the Shred! I watched Dancing with the Stars during it.. very inspirational! Have you seen Edyta or Chelsea or Nicole's bodies!?

I use Cascade as well... my BIGGEST issue when it comes to household cleaning is laundry. I honestly can not keep up !!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

I have to agree with you on tip #1!! :) I work so much faster when I have music to keep me hopping!

AKat said...

You are funny! Love your tips! Can't wait for this summmmmmer in New England!!!

Natalie said...

I am impressed that you can talk on the phone while you clean--i'm no good at that! Music is good for me, though!
We try to make our bed (well I do) but on weekdays I fail. Too tired or else the hub is still in it! And Im like Mr. B...cannot stand dirty dishes in the sink....they always go straight to the dishwasher!

Anonymous said...

Ok, Mr. B gets the OCD problem honestly... I cannot leave dirty dishes in the sink, unless I have burned something on them and have to let it soak.

I bought a steam mop after Thanksgiving and you told me about them. I didn't get the Shark one because I researched and found it didn't have as good a rating as others. i LOVE it. The tile cleans so fast this way and it really does clean. Especially since your nephew spends alot of time on my floors!

Impressed that you are on Day 9! Hurray for you!!! Have a good weekend, should be 80 here!

Cadie said...

I just recently found the incredible Mr. Clean Magic Eraser! It is so worth the money! It cleans anything and everything. Walls, sinks, counters, everything. Lovin' it! Good idea with the bleach and water in the spray bottle...totally going to do that...off to Target! :)

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Happy Saturday.....Enjoyed your post....
Hope you will stop by my place....Tonight I am drawing for three great giveaways.

Teresa
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/

Iva Messy said...

tide to go is awesome! happy monday!

Mrs. Dubose said...

Sometimes the silverware and the glasses have a cloudy look to them because you are using TOO much detergent. Trust me. I researched it and adjusted the amount I put in and they came out perfect. Also, instead of the expensive rinse I use vinegar. I use vinegar for all kinds of cleaning -- it is cheap and has no chemicals and IT WORKS.